For Members


Garbage Disposal

For information about garbage disposal at the Bioscience Building, refer to "How to dispose of garbage at Bioscience Building" (PDF file), and make sure to separate the garbage according to the rules. Otherwise, the garbage will not be collected.

Disposal of Experimental Waste Fluid

  1. Experimental waste fluid is accepted at the Environmental Science Center Kashiwa Branch in the morning on the 4th Wednesday of every month. For the disposal, you need to have completed the Environment, Health and Safety Workshop.
  2. Only use plastic containers from the Environmental Science Center. Plastic containers will be lent free of charge from the center's Kashiwa branch. Please inquire the Integrated Biosciences Building office.
  3. Make sure to follow the waste fluid classifications set by the Environmental Science Center. When pouring waste fluid into the tank, keep within the "Danger" ("危") line indicated on the surface of the tank. If the waste fluid exceeds this line, it will not be accepted. Note that it will also not be collected if precipitate is present or when separated into two phases.
  4. For formalin and phenol from which large amounts of waste fluid are discharged, make sure to first place them in the specified gallon bottles. This is to get rid of solids and separate the water layer and phenol layer. For other waste fluid, write down the content in the notepad attached to the tank, and then pour it in. It cannot be collected at the Environmental Science Center unless the amount of each substance contained in the waste fluid is stated. It is necessary to keep a detailed record of experimental waste fluid so you know how much or what is included.

Mercury Waste Disposal

Wastes containing mercury are collected 4 times a year. Place them in the specified location after you are notified.

Common precautions

Write the "name(s) of content", "quantity", "name of department/laboratory", "name of person responsible" on somewhere easy to notice. Those missing this information will not be collected since it is considered that the person responsible is not clear.

Used fluorescent lights etc

Used fluorescent lights are collected only when it contains mercury (fluorescent lights, sterilization lamps, mercury lamps, fluorescent bulbs, and deuterium lamps contain mercury). * Incandescent bulbs, starters, etc are non-flammable garbage.
Fluorescent lights must be placed in the original cases from the time of purchase. If you no longer have the case, wrap it with newspaper or something alike so it does not break. To prevent breakage during transportation, place the lights (about 20 to 25) in a cardboard box, and seal the box with packing tape. If you do not have a cardboard box, make a bundle of 25 lights and wrap some packing tape around to secure it.

Used batteries etc

Standard "mercury-free" batteries such as manganese and alkaline batteries are also collected for the recycling of electrode metals. Nickel-cadmium (NiCad) batteries cannot be collected, so please dispose of them in the collection boxes at retail stores. For lithium batteries which have high electromotive force, put insulation tapes (packing tapes, etc) over both electrodes. (There is a risk of fire caused by short-circuit.)


Put it in a plastic jar after draining out the water properly. (Add support to the bottom of the jar, as it becomes very heavy.) * Sludge refers to ⇒ mercury stabilized as sulfide, adsorbent with mercury adsorbed, trapped sludge containing mercury, cloth/paper filter with mercury attached, etc.


Pack it to prevent damage during transportation, and take measures so that mercury does not spill out even in case of a breakage. (Double-wrap using two thick plastic bags, and state where it came from.) * Device refers to ⇒ devices that contain mercury such as thermometers, mercury relay, etc.

Used reagent with mercury

Waste fluid containing mercury, solid disinfectant containing mercury, pesticide containing mercury, and reagent containing mercury cannot be collected. * Waste fluid containing mercury is collected at the waste fluid collection by the Environmental Science Center. Contact the Environmental Science Center for periodic collection from outside the university.

Measures for PRTR Law/Metropolitan Government regulation

Fluorescent lights and used dry-cell batteries are not included.
For sludge and devices, prepare the registration forms if the conditions set by the PRTR Law/Metropolitan Government regulation (when the density of mercury in the waste is 1% or higher) are satisfied.
The registration forms for PRTR Law/Metropolitan Government regulation can be downloaded from the Environmental Science Center website. Also, please check the website for details about this law as well.
It is the responsibility of the laboratory to fill in the registration form and record the amount in the yearly report for the laboratory.
The person in charge from the Environmental Science Center must check each registration form, compile and hand them to the mercury collector on the day of collection.

Hazardous Materials Storage Room

  1. It is not permitted to permanently store flammable solvents or reagents with a danger of explosion inside the laboratory. These hazardous materials must be stored in the specified location for each laboratory inside the hazardous materials storage room. Waste fluid containing hazardous materials can also be stored in the hazardous materials storage room. Store it in the specified location with the name of laboratory and the name of person responsible. The hazardous materials storage room is located opposite to the waste storage room on the north side of the Bioscience Building.
  2. The key for the hazardous materials storage room is kept at the Bioscience Building office. Borrow the key after writing down the required information in the specified notebook, and return it promptly when you finish taking in/out the hazardous materials.

Cryogen/Dry Ice/High-Pressure Gas Cylinder

  1. Cryogen (liquid nitrogen) is supplied from the Transdisciplinary Science Building. To receive the supply, you need to attend the "Use of Cryogen Lecture" hosted by the Cryogenic Service Lab of Institute for Solid State Physics in advance. In addition, you need to register the model, shape and weight of the container. Since there is a risk in operating the automatic supplier machine of liquid nitrogen and transporting liquid nitrogen, it is basically required to have at least two people for operation.
  2. To purchase dry ice, place an order by directly calling the specified vendor (Showa Denko: 04-7145-2020) from your laboratory. Delivery can be made by telling the location of the laboratory (floor number of Bioscience Building) and the person responsible. It will be delivered around 9:00 in the morning, but if there is no one at the laboratory, the vendor will leave it at the entrance of the laboratory.
  3. To use gas cylinders for nitrogen, helium or oxygen to be used in laboratory rooms, you need to attend the "High-Pressure Gas Cylinder Lecture" hosted by the Cryogenic Service Lab of Institute for Solid State Physics and register. Unused gas cylinders must be stored in a special storage, and not in laboratories. Gas cylinders are ordered through the High-Pressure Gas Cylinder Management System of the Cryogenic Service Lab of Institute for Solid State Physics.