Department of Integrated Biosciences - Graduate School of Frontier Science, The university of Tokyo

Types of Sinks

There are two types of sinks in the Bioscience Building, either for experiments or for living. When draining wastewater from experiments, you must first adjust the pH level within the specified range. Other kinds of wastewater are drained directly into the catch-basin of the building. Thus, it is actually the sink for living that you need to pay attention to when it comes to the effluent standard.

The university is a "Specified Workplace" stipulated by the Water Quality Pollution Control Act and Sewerage Service Act, some types of drainage allowed in normal households would be illegal at the university. For example, leftover soup from cup noodles, beer, or water from rinsing rice is not a problem at a normal household whereas draining these types of water at a university could be a violation of law. The oil contained in ramen noodles soup is approximately 200 times that of the university effluent standard, while the amount of suspended solids in the water used to rinse rice is approximately 100 times. Be aware that different standards from households are applied. In each laboratory, make sure that you know which sinks are for experiments and for living.

In case of a violation, please be reminded that a thorough investigation will be conducted to determine the cause.